Friday, February 26, 2010

For those of you who have jobs

Today I was going to comment about the revenge of the internship, however I've been busy with other things and instead bring you this extreme overtime.

The TUC states that 900,000 people are doing extreme amounts of overtime, on a regular basis which is unpaid...erm so if it is regular and unpaid then surely your salary should cover it right? In that if you work 100 hours on a salary of £500 a week then dividing it one by the other you get a simple answer of 500/100 = £5 an hour right?.

Does this yet again mean that minimum wage is meaningless? I am actually guilty of this myself in times past gone when I used to be paid £5500 for my first job I had as an accountant I worked officially 30 or so hours a week a full time role already I was underpaid NMW £3.02 an hour. Except I put more hours in as I had no choice ending up with my pay on an hourly basis somewhere around the £2.20 mark.

Hold on isn't NMW £5.80 yes it is but it is meaningless as business practices like this are so wide spread that the NMW is essentially meaningless. As I said again wab back in 1996 working in McDonalds I used to be paid £2.15-£2.25 an hour, how is it that a Mc'ds worker gets more than somebody who had to study for years to get a specific vocational qualification?.

It just makes no sense, this is hardly isolated in that Mc'ds staff clock in and clock out and are thus paid for EACH and every hour they attend, this includes briefings and meetings. I'm kind of surprised that Mc'ds staff are treated better than bloody office worker so called white collar staff.

The world ceases to amaze me at how far people will go to exploit others for profits, it seems that indenture never went away.


Additionally it isn't just the money side of things, in that what about the things inbetween being born and dying? Shouldn't you put some effort into actually living? what external costs are borne because of absent parents? Both my parents worked but they were always there to walk me to school and also to have dinner with me then back to work. I think I came out of it alright, but does everybody manage to do that? What is the social cost to all of this.

Again if we destroy families and future who will buy those products in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment