Saturday, April 10, 2010

Another view

I have worked in recruitment. I wouldnt recommend it but it keeps the wolf from the door.

I've done two jobs in high street recruitment. The thing that bothered me was, that you are supposed to be trained up by people who have no interest in you doing well, as if you do, you are a threat.

This means they only help the people stay who they see as not a threat. I've seen this in a few sales jobs.

You can do the best job you could possibly do, but if you dont hit the numbers they want, or if they take a dislike to you, you are out.

The other thing I dont like in this sort of job, is that to establish dominance, you are expected to suck up unfair criticism or jokes at your expense, and if you dish it back, its seen as you being arrogant.

If you can tug your forelock while lazy fuckers tell you how they are great while looking like they are scared of you, give it a go.

I reckon it could be an ok job, if it wasnt for the shitty management style that has people fighting against each other like cat and dog rather than helping each other.

Call centre work is better to be honest.

I suspect being a rep would be similar but better.

Be aware that the rate of staff turnover in recruitment is high. They have no interest in helping you, its just sink or swim.

If you are good at brown nosing, it could be the job for you.

I'd love to get into a technical job to match my engineering degree, but mostly I do shitty sales stuff where they treat you like shit, because you are a disposable resource rather than someone worth investing in.

No comments:

Post a Comment