Tuesday, June 30, 2009

More fake jobs

I recieved a glowing email offering me a job (in accountancy as I am underemployed there is a big difference) £19,000 a year not bad 32 hours a week. I was invited to attend an interview but on the morning of the said interview the job was mysteriously withdrawn. Which dashed my hopes, less than 3 hours later the same job identical in wording was readvertised online.

Surely there must be something against this sort of insidious practice in getting peoples' hopes up about getting out of their current situation?


Although I complain about it now this isn't new, when I first started out in 2004, I was asked to attend an actual interview in Cornwall just off Penzance from Manchester in the winter. Thats 373 miles away. I used to ride a motorbike at the time as it was cheap effective transport. I rode 359 miles in the rain and cold on mind numbing motorway costing me 6 gallons of petrol in and 6 gallons of petrol out £61 each way.

As I left the seemingly positive interview I felt rather happy about being given a chance, how wrong and naive I was then. I was told by SMS message that sorry the job did not actually exist they just wanted to interview graduates to see how much they should increase the pay of their current staff. Had I not been travelling up the A38 towards another fake job in Edinburgh I'd have probably been angry and broken something. It pains me now and I get chest pains considering the anger and betrayal I felt at that.

20 hours later I had gone to Edinburgh and attended a similar fake job, I was £200 down from my megre savings and had nothing to show for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment